Replication & Restoration
Cast iron window and door frame assemblies
History of the Building
The Newman Library is the main library for the students and faculty at Baruch College. Located at 151 East 25th Street in Rose Hill, Manhattan, New York City, the building was formerly known as the Lexington building.
Designed by architect J. William Schickel in the Italian Renaissance style, the building was constructed in 1895 as a state-of-the-art power station for the Lexington Avenue system of the Metropolitan Street Railway Company, the power station produced the steam to power the cable car system. The original purpose of the building was short lived because in less than two decades after the construction of the Metropolitan Street Railway Company building, the cable car became obsolete. Without the need of steam power for the cable cars, the building became home to other establishments, including printers, garment factories, a carpentry school, and a garage on the first floor.
Financed by bonds issued through the New York State Dormitory Authority remodeling of the building began in the early 1990s. Robinson Iron was selected to restore the cast iron window and door frame assemblies. With the renovation of the site managed by Morse/Diesel as the construction manager and Davis Brody & Associates as the project architects, the Lexington Avenue Cable Car Company was transformed into the Newman Library by Baruch College.
The multi-purposed building houses the the library, offices, a conference center, a computer center and the acclaimed Subotnick Financial Center with the Bert W. and Sandra Wasserman simulated trading floor.
About Robinson Iron
Restoration of historic landmarks, historic buildings, and other cultural resources of significance – these are the keys to preserving the beauty of our heritage and our public spaces. Robinson Iron is an established, highly qualified firm specializing in the restoration and preservation of historical cast iron, aluminum, and bronze, including cast metal facades, art pieces, and sculpted ornamentations adorning historic properties throughout the United States and beyond.