Façade Restoration / April 2004
This important building in our nation’s capital housed Clara Barton’s offices during the Civil War. The preservation and restoration of the structure involved removal of the façade, cataloging and replication of missing components. A new steel support armature was engineered, fabricated and installed to hold the restored cast iron, including the insertion of stainless steel backer plates at strategic weight locations. Welding repairs included oxyacetylene welding with nickel electrodes and brazing with silicon bronze rods. After complete restoration, Robinson Iron crews installed the façade.
Oehrlein & Associates Architects
1350 Connecticut Ave. NW Suite 412
Washington, DC 20036-1737
202.785.7336 ▪ oehrlein.com
703.847.0900 ▪ jpi.com