Fall 2007
Volume 10
Inside this issue:
The Jefferson at Penn Quarter
Carroll Square
"A Hecht of a Job"
Sixteenth Street Bridge Historic Lamp Standards
Making a Little History of Our Own

Reach out and touch History through some of the nation’s most thoughtfully splendid restoration - An Update from Washington, DC. !

The Jefferson at Penn Quarter
Turning around urban decay is not an easy thing especially when it involves the heart of the nation’s capital, thirteen historic properties, and the desire to create significant urban amenities. All of this has been accomplished brilliantly at The Jefferson at Penn Quarter, 616 E Street NW. Conceived as a mixed-use development that respects the history of the site (Clara Barton’s offices were located there during the Civil War), the project required the restoration and installation of an historic four-story cast iron façade. Previously saved by the Pennsylvania Avenue Development Corporation it had been removed and stored at Andrews Air Force Base where it awaited a new life and purpose.
Read on...
Carroll Square
Robinson Iron designed and fabricated an entirely new cast aluminum façade as part of this trophy-class project located in the heart of the East End. The complex is at the heart of the resurgence in the area creating new and unique office and retail opportunities. Local historic patterns were used to suggest the appearance of an older cast iron façade and to relate it directly to the newly restored cast iron façade at nearby Penn Quarter.
Read on...
“A Hecht of a Job!”
The 575 7th Street Main Tower at Terrell Place is a redevelopment of the former Hecht Company department store into Class A office space. Hecht’s was founded in 1857 by Samuel Hecht, Jr. who had emigrated from Germany only twelve years before. The original family owned stores were located in Baltimore, Maryland but on March 20, 1896 a Washington store was opened under the direction of Alexander Hecht. In November of 1925 the store location was moved to a new building at the corner of 7th and F Streets Northwest.
Read on...
Sixteenth Street Bridge Historic Lamp Standards
Years ago the cast iron Lamp Standards that graced the Sixteenth Street Bridge were removed. They never made it back atop their plinths on the Bridge’s beautifully articulated stone railing. Eventually it was decided they should be replicated. A local firm, Chesapeake Electrical was chosen as the contractor and they in turn chose Robinson Iron and its team of expert craftsmen to do the job.
Read on...
Making a Little History of Our Own
On June 12, 2007 Robinson Iron began preparing the site of a new office and plant addition. Planned as an extension of existing fabrication space the new structure will also house additional offices with a new conference room. As soon as the slab was poured it began to be used for temporary storage. All this will of course disappear as the new building begins to rise. Move-in is scheduled for Spring of 2008.
More Photos...
Click here to sign-up for our Quarterly Newsletter