Kenny Ott rebuilt the wooden frames of the revolving doors and refurbished the complicated mechanisms required to operate them.
The center "pin" which revolves the doors.
Cleaned and restored these working components will provide many more years of service.
The revolving door assembly prior to polishing.
Joe Hutchison cleans one of the doors prior to refinishing.
The pulls or push bars are reattached.
At every stage of restoration the work was protected and sealed to keep its bright appearance.
Installation on site at the North Entrance.
Completed restoration of the North Entry.
The Santa Fe Building is one of the oldest buildings in downtown Amarillo, Texas, U.S.A.. It was completed on January 18, 1930 and housed the regional offices of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company. The Amarillo office supervised more than 5,800 miles (9,334 km) of railroad. Brennan Construction Company of Amarillo and Dallas built the building from 1928 to 1930 with an original construction cost of $1.5 million.
The Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad, often abbreviated to Santa Fe, was one of the larger railroads in the United States, chartered in February 1859. Despite the name its main line never served Santa Fe, New Mexico, as the terrain was too difficult, the town ultimately being reached by a branch line from Lamy. The railroad reached the Kansas/Colorado state line in 1873 and Pueblo, Colorado in 1876. It set up real estate offices and sold farm land from the land grants that it was awarded by Congress; these farms would create a demand for transportation (both freight and passenger).
Ever the innovator, the railroad was one of the pioneers in intermodal freight service, an enterprise that (at one time or another) included a tugboat fleet and an airline (the short-lived Santa Fe Skyway). A bus line allowed the company to extend passenger transportation to areas not accessible by rail, and ferry boats on the San Francisco Bay allowed travelers to complete their westward journeys to the Pacific Ocean.
The Santa Fe Building had been vacant for more than a decade when Potter County bought it in 1995 for $426,000. An adaptive reuse would convert the structure into badly needed office space and courtrooms. As part of the ongoing restoration, Robinson Iron was engaged to restore the bronze entrance doors for the North and East Entries. The North Entry consists of four sets of double doors surrounding one set of four revolving doors and forming an airlock on either side. The East Entry consists of four single doors surrounding one set of four revolving doors also forming an airlock on either side.
Upon further examination it was determined both sets of revolving doors would require replacement of the interior wooden frames. This involved the complete removal of the bronze cladding. After reassembly the restored doors were reattached to their center spindle and polished. Restoration of the remaining doors consisted of polishing-out scratches, dings and bops they had received over their many years of service.
After delivery to the site in Amarillo, Texas, the doors were glazed by Royal Glass of Amarillo and installed. Once again a grand entrance to a grand old building has regained its luster.
Potter County, Texas
Architexas, Architecture,Planning & Historic Preservation, Inc.; Susan Frocheur, AIA
Robinson Restoration Team
J. Scott Howell, Executive Project Manager; John B. Howell, Project Site Supervisor; Barry Turner, Master Patternmaker; Eric Price, William Vickers, Jerry Wallace, Patternmakers; Blake Owen, Dakota Owen, CNC Operators; Kenny Toler, Waterjet Operator; David Argo, Chris Bowen, David Brazzell, Tim Burnett, Adam Clark, Randall Clayton, Walter Cockrell, Scott Dunham, Winfred Fleetion, Brandon Grant, Joe Hutchinson, Kenny Ott Fabricators.